Friday, November 6, 2009

RING & STRING


Another magic Friday has come and gone. And so has another success. This week it was Jim Tyler’s Ring and String Routine. I started working on this last summer. I put it down for some reason and picked it back up a couple weeks ago. Last week I didn’t feel it was ready to perform so I did my own handling of Card Warp instead. This gave me another week to smooth out the Ring and String Routine. Good thing too. I think Mr. Tyler would have approved of my performance. Confident and smooth for the most part. At the start of the 3rd performance I handed the string to a football player to examine. While testing the string’s strength, he snapped off a third of it! Oh well, one must continue nonplused. As I was performing with a shorter string than usual the (borrowed) ring got a little hung up during the 1st and 3rd stages. This caused a very sleight pause instead of the normal flowing movement. No exposure though. The audience may have suspected a move was afoot, but there was no loss of surprise at revelation. I kept things moving and did not lose any entertainment value. The rest of the performances were smooth and successful. I love this routine. There are heaps of fun and magical moments in it. I still need to iron out some of the timing in order to fully exploit these moments. Tyler’s Ring and String is a joy to perform and a great audience participation piece. It was hard for me to learn, but now I will always have a length of string with me for that moment of opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment