Friday, December 4, 2009

Clean Cut


In 1977 I saw Mark Wilson do the color changing pocket knives on his wonderful show "Magic Circus". I thought for sure it was done with some kind of shell gimmick. Nevertheless My next order to Tannen's included a set of knives.

When I got them I was surprised and pleased. I still have them today. I never really built a routine around them but used them as a quick "impromptu" type effect. The problem, I felt was there was no real finish. Eventually I modeled a miniature knife. For a finish I would crush a knife down to size. I had a couple of other ideas which I never pursued. The color changing pocket knives eventually drifted out of my awareness. Until recently.

There they were in my dusty old trunk with all that other stuff. I found a basic routine by Harry Lorayne in Tarbell's #7. The routine was sharp, direct and I liked the pace of it. There is a good finish but it requires a third knife. At one point a handkerchief is introduced and used.

I liked the idea of using a handkerchief, but the handling did not fit my style. Eventually I worked out a different handkerchief switch based on an old Dai Vernon move using coins and a handkerchief. But in the end I decided that for me the routine was stronger without a handkerchief. This left me right back where I started. How to finish? Then it came to me. I incorporated a sweet move I learned from Patrick Page. This move is a clever card vanish that can be used to cleanly dispose of any small object. Patrick Page credits to move to Max Malini. This allowed for a surprise and very clean finish for the pocket knives.

It was fun watching my students almost figure out how the trick was done when I threw in a very "casual" move from Harry Lorayne's writing in Tarbell #7. He credits the move to Russell Barnhart. If you do the pocket knives look this one up! It is one of little subtleties that if done properly, throws off the wise and the clever. Together with the clean and surprising finish I am very pleased with the routine I have stitched together. After the appause died down I flat out asked my classes..."Is this one a keeper?" To which I received many "Thumbs Up".
Its been 20 years since I fooled around with the pocket knives. Now I've got a strong well-paced routine with a surprising and clean finish. All made possible by Mark Wilson, Harry Lorayne, Russell Barnhart and the great Patrick Page. Thank you gentlemen!


No comments:

Post a Comment