Friday, January 29, 2010

I'll Take A Life Line Please


As mentioned in the previous post, life is moving way too fast. Among other things I am now teaching a six-week Sunday school class on “Astronomy and the Bible”. I have got to learn to say "no" once and a while!.
I am still working on Vernon’s “Silk and Silver”, “Three Ball Routine” and “Slow Motion Aces”. I am making reasonable progress but have a long way to go before performing any of them. Last week “Chicago Opener” went over very well. But with limited time for practice I needed something for this week that I was already good at. Something that would not require learning a new sleight, arranging a new handling or even writing a fresh script. Something that required little prep time. I had something I was saving for just an occasion as this. The Rising Cards. Okay, I’m a stinky prostitute. I admit it! But in my own defense I remember reading in one of my books that “self working” tricks are not necessarily a sin. If they are balanced with good sleight of hand effects it is perfectly acceptable to include a bit of magical cheese. It serves me to agree. But if the audience has seen you perform near miracles with ordinary objects that have been examined, than why not? Besides, there is no such thing as "no skill required" even a "self-working" effect requres presentation. My students are used to me handing out for examination whatever I have been using. So when I performed the “Rising Cards” they were intently watching me for tell-tale motions. It did not seem to occur to anyone that it might be the cards themselves that are being clever. If on the other hand I had performed the “Rising Cards” closer toward the beginning of the year, before establishing myself as a gentleman of adequate legerdemain, the focus would indeed have been on the cards. Truth be told; When the trick was over I switched the deck out for another. Just in case.
Now that I’ve used a stand-by freebie, (breathe) it’s on to more tasty sleight of hand work for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment