Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two Giants


Many years ago Master magician Jim Cellini taught me his color changing handkerchief routine. In his expert hands it was a beautiful thing to experience. For some reason I can’t imagine, that knowledge drifted into an old and dusty corner of my brain; All but forgotten. When I recently brought my old trunk down from the attic and opened it, I was overwhelmed with memories. Each item had a story. Every 10” ring, billiard ball, giant coin, plastic egg or sundry gimmick had been infused with my spirit from all the countless hours of practice and performance. Like the exuberant tail-wagging of happy dogs, I think they were pleased to see me too. Among the carefully boxed gaggle of thimbles, sponge balls, wands, silks and copper cups I spied my old dye tube.


I remembered Jim Cellini and the beautiful routine he taught me. The only problem was I couldn’t remember the handling! Oh well, I thought, in time…
Two weeks ago while surfing the web I ran across a gentleman I had never heard of before. Patrick Page. A Scottish magician of the highest caliber! There were videos of Mr. Page performing the most beautiful classic effects. His manner is enthusiastic, humble and very friendly. His timing and handling are as good as it gets. I also found a 4-part interview with him that was fascinating and motivational. Some very practical wisdom being shared in parts 3 and 4. This gentleman has precisely the kind of style, timing and naturalness I aspire to. I feel ignorant that I was previously unaware of him. Now however, he is my newest superhero! Patrick Page you are AWESOME!


In one of the videos he performs his handling of the color changing handkerchief. I can’t remember Jim Cellini’s routine that he taught me, so I don’t know how similar the two routines are. But Mr. Page reminded me of just how beautiful this effect is. So after seeing it performed by Patrick Page, I was once again inspired and motivated to work out the handling, practice it faithfully and perform it. The handling I'm using is not exactly the same as Mr. Cellini's or Mr. Page’s but probably a mix of both masters. Either way, the basics are of course the same.
When I was young I was okay with some degree of sloppiness. Okay, a lot. I figured misdirection and timing would carry me. (Most of the time it did since I performed mainly in bars)! Not anymore. My goal is to achieve nothing short of veteran professional quality. I may never fully reach that goal, but I’m giving it all I’ve got. Attention to every detail. Strive for naturalness. That's the stuff. I plan to perform this Page/Cellini conglomerate handling of the color changing handkerchief on Friday. Mr. Cellini, Mr. Page, I promise to make you proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment