Friday, October 2, 2009

Ambitious Reflection


Subjectivity is a remarkable thing. While we’re worried about the roast, the dog eats the mashed potatoes. So it is with magic. At least it is with me. Today I performed an ambitious card routine for 5 different groups of people. Each group numbered around 20. The performances went pretty well. All in all I’m satisfied with the outcome and adding this routine to my permanent repertoire. Great response. Highlight in blue!
I have been working on the classic pass for months. The main reason for working out this ambitious card routine was to execute the classic pass within it and see if I could pull it off. (I also use a turn-over pass in this routine). As far as I can tell, my classic pass is now audience ready. This is worth celebrating. The funny thing is, I was so caught up with the pass that I fumbled two double lifts!
For one error, I triple lifted. Not a problem. I showed the card anyway and "gave" it to a second spectator and declared we were having an observation test. A couple of changes take place ending with an indifferent card held by the first spector turning out to be his origional signed card. Thank heavens for the top change! I took the card back, did the tilt move and slid right back into the routine.
The other slip up was just sloppy handling. When I did a double lift and turn over, one of the cards slid a bit and the two or three closest people could see what I was up to. I just had to eat that one and keep moving. No big deal though since the next bit took off in another direction. The witnesses soon forgot what they saw.
This is a good lesson for me as I continue my work to become a competent sleight-of-hand artist. I thought since I was through the pass, I could relax. I got a little over confident and bungled a simple double lift. Twice. Everything worked out in my favor in the end so I’m not troubled by it. I will simply remember to never, ever take anything for granted. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment