Friday, February 26, 2010

Micromorphosis


Another one of my favorite books is “The Card Magic of LePaul”. This book is jam packed with fundamental sleights and solid magic. Many of the effects in the book can be blended together to build a significant presentation. I prefer books to DVD’s. I think that’s partly due to my being a cranky old fart. But I enjoy pulling a beautiful effect from the written word. Videos are great. For example, I own and use a few oldies like Harris, Roth and Kaufman to name a few. Although these have been very helpful I get a greater sense of accomplishment from books. Maybe I just like doing things the hard way.


Back in August I started working on my own handling of “The Substitution Envelope Mystery” from page 143 of Le Paul's wonderful book. I did some more work on it this week for presentation on Friday. It’s a great transposition effect. The handling I came up with involves a re-telling of the famous Metamorphosis illusion. This illusion was invented by John Nevil Maskelyne, but most often associated with Houdini. This handling of LePaul's card effect involves 3 spectators each with a part to play. A magician, his assistant and an audience “inspection committee”. I always try to make the audience the stars whenever possible. This routine suits itself nicely for that. In fact, the spectators have possession of the cards, envelope and rubber bands almost the whole time. The beauty of it is, after a little mental misdirection the audience is convinced that I never really handled the cards at all.


During one of the performances I performed a clumsy Turn-Over Pass. Just plain carelessness really. Only a couple people noticed. They don't know what they saw. They just saw something unnatural. That's still a couple of people too many. That'll learn me! During another performance I had a total wreck while executing the Classic Pass. I thought I was done for. But I covered for it by lifting one of the two packets with my right hand and doing a casual overhand slip shuffle. I did it while I was talking and hoping the audience would think I was just casually toying with the cards. It seemed work. During another performance one young man was "burning" my hands just as I needed to do the Classic Pass. He was so determined I couldn't have removed his stare if I yelled "Fire". So I handed him the envelope and asked him to "hold it up and open it slowly"... (He had to look at it because he thought there might be something in it)..."to make sure it's empty". By then the deed was done.
The original LePaul trick is a beautiful effect. I hope my handling of it does it justice. I enjoyed performing it and all 5 of my audiences were mystified and entertained . There are a few points to work on. I definitely need to tighten up the script. I built all the misdirection into it that I needed, but it drags just a little. I also need to punch up the first revelation. Too many spectators were aware that the trick was not over and knew that something else was coming. And finally, as I do hundreds of times every week I must continue to work on my Classic Pass. Forever and ever.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment