Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Patrick Page. 1929-2010


On Thursday February 11th the world of magic lost one of its greatest practitioners. After a long illness, master magician Patrick Page passed away. He was 81 years old.
Patrick Page was born March 17th 1929. He was the youngest of 6 children growing up in Dundee Scotland. As a young boy he was bitten by the magic bug. Since then the world of magic gained one of its most brilliant and generous friends. Mr. page has written many books on magic. “The Big Book of Magic” published in 1976 is considered by many to be a must have in any magical library. A magician’s bible, as it were.



Mr. Page has also written many other books on topics such as sponge balls, thumb tips, and the topit. I recently purchased another book by Page called “Visual Comedy”. This book is full of all sorts of gags and bits of business to get laughs between and during effects. Very practical stuff.
Patrick Page was also famous among magicians for his encyclopedic knowledge, razor-sharp wit and generosity. Although he would have hated to hear it, he has been called a genius of our craft. He was also hilariously funny.
Sadly, (Even though his topit book was part of my library for 20 years), I didn’t even realize who he was until last year. When I began my re-entry into magic I discovered Patrick Page. I fell in love with him right away.

When I saw some of his performances on the web I knew that this was the kind of performer I had been striving to be. His manner was kind, friendly, a bit mischievous and smooth as silk. A true gentleman. And he did it all. Stand up, Parlor, stage, close up and children’s shows. He was also a regular at the 4F gatherings.



I have referred to Mr. Page as my unwitting mentor because even though I never met him, his style and manner match most closely to my own vision as a performer. In a word, he was my kind of magician. I wish I could have met Patrick Page or seen him give a lecture. I have some of his books and a couple DVD’s. I suppose that will have to do.
I don’t think I have ever been this saddened by someone’s passing that I didn’t even know. I feel like someone who was starving for friendship finally finding a best friend. Then, to have that friend move away after only a few months.
There is now a void in the heart of anyone who loves magic. There will never be anyone like Patrick Page again. I have to believe at this moment he is with old friends and legends swapping stories and having heaps of fun.
So long for now friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment