Friday, February 19, 2010

Silver and Glass


I always loved “Touch of Midas” from Bobo’s “Modern Coin Magic”. It involves the magical appearance of 4 coins one at a time. It’s not easy but it’s a pretty and very practical effect. After all, if one is a magician, why not just produce from the air what is needed?
Long ago Jim Cellini asked me to do a trick for him. I was prepared and went right into “Touch of Midas” using half dollars. My handling and presentation were pretty sloppy though. Cellini was very kind and did not convey the coins to my colon! (Which he had every right to do)! Instead he remarked that I needed a bit more practice. (Understatement). He then asked to borrow the coins and went into a flurry of multiple vanishes and reappearances that made my head spin.

Not long after that I met Dan Fleshman at a North Carolina magic convention. It was the first day and I didn't know anybody. Dan came right up, introduced himself and started an interesting conversation. He did not mention he was one of the event’s lecturers. (Along with Daryl and Steve Beam to name a couple). During his performance/lecture he blew my mind with his coin and card work. All the while his demeanor was friendly, confident and soooo smooth. Truly, Fleshman has got to be one of the most decent and gentlemanly pros out there!

Indeed, for most of us our goal is not to challenge, fool or trick people. Who likes being fooled? The goal of a joke is not to tell a lie, but to create laughter. By the same token the goal of magic is not to trick people, but to entertain, amuse and create a sense of joyful wonder. To tickle the inner child. It’s not a battle of wits. It is (at best) an astounding joy ride. I see my role in this not as a “wonder worker” but rather, a “tour guide”. If that involves a little back stage deception so be it. We want the audience to like us personally. Unless of course we’re playing a character of some kind. Personally, I could never pull off the “fast talking wise guy” act. The reason is simple. I’m neither.

During that convention in 1988 I purchased Dan Fleshman’s lecture notes. In “Close Up with Dan Fleshman #2” there is a snappy little “Coins to Glass” number. So last week I started working on it. 22 years late but who’s counting. I found the perfect glass at the Goodwill store. (Goodwill is a magician’s paradise)! And I built a routine that combines “Touch of Midas” with “Coins to Glass” and a few sundry vanishes, reappearances and flourishes. My coins of choice are 1923 silver Morgan Peace Dollars. I like their weight, milling, visibility and the beautiful singing they create when tossed into the air or a glass. As a bonus 1923 is also the year my Dad was born.



As recent as last night there were still a few bugs in the routine. I must be blessed that I have my planning period during 1st period this year. This gave me time to smooth out the wrinkles. After about 40 minutes I felt it was ready to go. I was a little worried about the heal clip / Han Ping Chien action. I was afraid that my hands, being so close together at the crucial moment, would broadcast that there was something devious afoot.
As it turns out my fears were in vain. Each performance was smooth, magical and exciting. It looked good. It sounded great and my 5 audiences were enthusiastic in their response. I even told them that this was my first time performing this effect and asked if it was a keeper. The response from each audience was the same: “Awesome”!
Everything was going so well that before the final performance of the day I kind of got into my own head and missed the glass during one of the moves. Nothing was exposed though. (Big sigh of relief). I just picked up one of the coins and dropped it into the glass with the others. Apparently nobody thought anything of it.

God has been very patient with this thick-witted old knucklehead. Years ago I buried the gift He gave me under a tree. It just might have stayed there for the rest of my natural life too. I am grateful for the wake up call I received just about a year ago. Since August I have been working harder than ever before to become a skilled and competent sleight-of-hand performer. It doesn't feel like work though. I am getting there. I am a better magician today than I have ever been. Tomorrow I will be better still. Today's performance was everything I hoped for it to be. The difficult sleights, careful routining, and practice paid off in a successful and pretty performance involving 4 silver dollars and a champagne glass. I only wish Jim Cellini were there to see it.


.

2 comments:

  1. Christopher,
    I love reading about your progress! Keep it up, magic needs more dedicated and intelligent artists like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Hijinx. Your encouragement and kind words are helpful and greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete