Monday, September 14, 2009

Upside Right


I am happy to report to myself that Saturday night’s performance went very well. The audience numbered about 300. I did 3 routines. A one-coin routine, Gene Anderson’s newspaper trick and I finished off with my own handling of the old silk to egg bit with a sucker finish. All went relatively well. Life is good! Thank God I did not repeat the dancing cane fiasco!


Okay, so I was really nervous because this was my first real performance in 20 years. Once on stage I began with a quick joke and the surprising appearance of a silver dollar. Then comes a snappy series of choreographed vanishes and reappearances. The bit ends with the appearance of a giant silver dollar. I love this routine. It is 100% sleight- of-hand and based on Eric Ford’s “Ferdinand’s Fortune”. It’s a knock-out opener suitable for close-up or stage. I am so stubborn. Years ago I inserted a coin roll (As described on page 201 of “Modern Coin Magic” by J.B. Bobo) into the routine. The roll was slow and chunky because of the recent injury to my right hand. I could have done the bit without the coin roll. But I was determined to do the routine as I had done in the past. The coin did not dance across my fingers as it once did but it did not slip or fall. It still looked good. Stage one engaged. Yes!


Next up, Gene Anderson’s newspaper trick. This was a good choice because it gave me the opportunity to tailor the routine to the audience. Fake news stories about the ministry team for example. A few people caught a glimpse of a “hidden” something during a very brief malfunction. The effect and presentation were so strong that the quick “flash” did not detract from the entertainment value of the overall effect. Stage two ignited. Niceness.



I finished with the silk to egg routine. An oldie but goodie for sure. The audience was with me the entire time. Stage three ignitions; orbit achieved. When I cracked the real egg at the end there were gasps and vocalizations of “No Way!” It just goes to show that with the right presentation, timing and build up, even the simplest effect takes on a grand quality. I learned that from David Ginn.


Usually I am very hard on myself. (See “Wizardry in the Sanctuary” below). But even with the minor imperfections I am thrilled! It may not have been the best performance of my life, but it was certainly one of the most important. The first one in 20 years and it was a clear success. I can now make myself available for fund raisers, community outreach, or hospitality. God has been very good to me. I have had many second chances. Ironically, had I not injured myself, I would not have been on that stage Saturday night. With all the other responsibilities and distractions in my life, I would have lacked the motivation. I would have stalled and procrastinated. I had been praying to find a way to deepen and strengthen my faith, but there was something I still needed to learn. The object of my search was in my back pocket all along. When I injured my hand by being stupid, God had my attention and provided me with the opportunity to see more clearly what I had been missing. It’s counter-intuitive really. I did not rededicate myself to performing magic in spite of my injury, but rather, because of it. Going through physical therapy gave me the focus and discipline I needed to rebuild and strengthen my sleight-of-hand skills. It was what I needed to take it seriously. It was a way to give meaning to a senseless injury. And it was a blessing all the way around. I recovered (pretty much) from the injury. I got my legerdemain back on line. (Still much work ahead). I’ve got a successful performance under my belt, and I now have something worthy to offer back to God. That’s what I was praying for from the start. It is so radical how God sets things right by turning them upside down!

No comments:

Post a Comment