Thursday, September 24, 2009

Winged Silver WIP


The more I work on this winged silver routine the more I like it. In "Modern Coin Magic" Bobo credits this effect to Nelson C. Hahne. I’m currently working on the “Improved Version” of it. What strikes me about this effect is its reliance on timing and misdirection. The sleights themselves are not difficult. I have a decent and natural looking classic palm so that’s not a problem. But I have to admit that I’m really struggling with the timing and misdirection. For example, a coin must be vanished by tossing it invisibly from the right hand to the left hand. Moving the coin from the finger tips and into position is easy in and of itself. The problem is making it look magical. The other difficulty is the move that creates a clean finish at the end. Again, not a difficult move, but I feel like I’m making circles on my stomach and tapping the top of my head. It seems so easy, but I’m having a hard time following the path of the “thrown” coin with my eyes while making myself clean. I am getting it. It’s slow going, but it’s coming along. Good thing too. Friday will be here soon. This is the first “new” routine I have worked on since getting back into magic. It is deliciously frustrating! I love a fine coin routine. Once I get this worked out, I’ve got my eye on Dai Vernon’s “Five Coins and a Glass”. Brilliant elegance! I hope I can do it justice.


On another note, my classic pass is improving. I have it up to about 90%. Soon I'll be ready to perform it with confidence. One hundred to two hundred times a day. That's the ticket. I have also cleaned up my invisible turn over pass a la Paul LePaul. This will hold me until my classic pass is ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment