Sunday, September 27, 2009

Winged Silver: Post Flight

There is no feeling like successfully performing a piece of sleight-of-hand drawn from a book, diligently practiced and altered to fit one’s own style. I have done coin tricks since I was a kid and all through my 20’s and into my 30’s. But I don’t think I have ever had such a strong reaction as I received performing “Winged Silver” as it appears in J.B. Bobo’s “Modern Coin Magic”. It took about a week to work it out. I performed it 5 times for my 5 classes. (Every Friday I do a magic trick for my students). High school kids can be a surly and cynical lot. So when they were blown away by this beautiful 100% sleight-of-hand routine, I knew I had a winner on my hands. I thought my own coin transposition was good. But Hahne’s routine is a knock out! I added a few twists of my own including a surprise climax.
Area for improvement: Although the sleight used for the tossing action is not difficult, I’m still not satisfied with it. It works. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. But I want it to look more magical. I want it to look as though the coin dissolves as it is being thrown. I will continue working on this minor subtlety. I’m sure I’ll find something I will be happy with. All in all I am excited about adding this gem to my repertoire.
The quest to revive and improve my legerdemain skills is well under way. My first few steps have been rewarding. I have many miles to go, many sleights to master and a heap of creativity to muster. I have some wonderful books, lots of patience and a supportive family. I have asked God to help me find my place. I have been searching for a way to serve. I was also hungry for artistic expression. I have found all three. God doesn’t do what we want him to do. But if we are mindful of God, I believe, we are more likely to find our center. And with that comes peace and fulfillment. There may just be hope for this old knucklehead after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment