Friday, September 4, 2009

Rubbing The Lamp

When I was a kid I told my mother I wanted to grow up and be a magician. After a short pause she said…”I’m sorry dear, you can’t do both”. All good jokes have a measure of truth in them.




The purpose this blog is to document and chronicle my mission to awaken and revitalize a part of myself that has been lost: Or at least sleeping for a really long time. It’s not my intention to “share” with the world my personal journey. I’m sure this quest of mine would be boring to anyone else. Someone suggested I track my progress on a blog. I liked the idea of using blogage as a form of commitment. I am more likely to press forward if my progress and discipline are “out there” for anyone to see. But before I begin, a little background if you please.




When I was 10 years old I was not a very good student. (That would continue to be the case through high school). I wasn’t very good at sports either. Little league baseball was nothing short of a nightmare. The kids were alright. It was the Dads. Aaarrrrgh! Then without warning, I stumbled into something unexpected. Kids trade stuff. And one day in a trade I wound up with a 15-page catalogue from Abbott’s Magic Shop located in Colon, Michigan. Hey! Here was something different! How cool would it be to do that! My first via post purchase was a set of multiplying billiard balls. They were 1 inch in diameter, made of wood, red and I was hooked! My first trip to a magic shop was Al Flosso's shop in NYC. I was just a kid and didn't know I was in the presence of greatness. He was great though. I went home with a Rising Wand, a Svengali deck and a pair of Chinese Sticks. All very good quality too.




By the time I got to High School I had discovered my niche as an athlete. Track and Field. I also had a reputation as a magician of some note. I joined The Society of American Magicians, went to magic club meetings and performed at school and community functions. I even had an assistant. The lovely and talented Jodi I. Actually "assistant doesn't really cover it. She was a performer, creative consultant, director and all around cutie! We were a pretty sweet team.





After High School I wasted a lot of time and did not take life very seriously. But a few years later a good friend believed in me enough to assist me in moving toward becoming a professional. I really took my skill to a new level. I was making a bit of money, but not enough. I was becoming a decent magician but I lacked confidence, knowledge and single-minded drive needed to really build a career out of it. If you’re out there E.W., Thank You. And I’m sorry I was such a knucklehead.



Back to college. Major: Physics and Education. While there I met an angel in a pink dress. We got married a year later, finished school, and started our careers. She: a nurse, And I, a physics teacher. We started our family, bought a house, got involved at church and so it goes. Life is good. Magic was the furthest thing from my mind. Once and a while I would do a little something for my students or my kids, but that’s about it. About a year ago we took our kids to a Disney Mickey Mouse Magic Show. It was pretty good really. The magic was performed by two gents in their early 20’s. They interacted with the audience like seasoned professionals. Quite good. Was that jealousy I was feeling? No. It was something else. It was not a negative emotion. It was more like I was seeing myself and Jodi up on that stage and wondering why it never panned out. It was not regret either. After all, I’ve got a great marriage, a fine career and wonderful children. No. No regrets. Just…well, what was it? Guilt? Guilt for abandoning a gift that was once so important to me? Maybe. What ever it was I felt like I should be doing something. Maybe it was time to bring my billiard balls out of mothballs.





Then suddenly, there was the injury. A stupid, meaningless injury to my right hand. My fault. Did I mention stupid? My hand will never be good as new. (My pinky is a little shorter and a couple of tendons are kind of messed up). My physical therapists were kind task masters and really knew their stuff. But now I had to somehow give meaning to this injury. I couldn’t let it be for nothing. I would have to use it as a way of evolving into a better self. Here’s what I’ve come up with…


God gives everybody a gift. It is up to us to discover and use it as a unique form of praise. I still cared about my gift but was not using it. I took it for granted and assumed it would always be there. Well it won’t always be there. I felt like God was telling me that since I was searching for a way to serve, I could best serve him by using the talent He gave me. (Wizardry for Jesus; Now there's a concept)! But if this was something I really wanted to do, it would have to have meaning. It could not be glib, cheesy or casual. I would have to work for it. That is, start from scratch and re-train my right hand to achieve the strength, subtleness and flexibility necessary for quality close up and parlor magic. I would not have to be as good as I was before. I would have to be better! Way better.



Now it just so happened that at this time that my church was scouring the congregation to identify each member’s personal talents. Coincidence? I guess that depends on one’s perspective. I choose to believe that if we yield to God we will be led toward our fullest potential. (Yielding to God’s will has never been my strong suit). Anyway, when I showed my pastor my old business card with the magic wand on it, his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. No turning back now. Done deal. Empty bag, no cat. You get the picture. Not long after that I saw a sign in a store window that said… “It’s never too late to be what you could have been”. That sealed it.





So here’s the poop. I have brought down my magic books and trunk-o-stuff from the attic. I will dive back into the realm of legerdemain. I will begin at the beginning. Tarbell’s Course in Magic Volume I. I will do one of three things every week…
1. Become proficient with a challenging and useful slight.
2. Retrain my hand to do an old favorite. (Only better).
3. Learn an entirely new effect and perform it flawlessly.
I will do at least one of these three things every week until the end of June 2010. I have a nice library rich with material. Every Friday I will perform the effect for each of my classes at school. As a teacher I literally have a captive audience. They shall be forcefully subjected to many wonders! On the following Wednesday night, I will perform that effect for my church friends at dinner. I will post at least twice a week. Once to explain what I'm working on and comments on progress, and again to reflect on the illusion’s mastery, effectiveness and presentation.





That’s it for now. Dr. Harlan Tarbell! I am back. It’s good to see you again old friend…

No comments:

Post a Comment