Monday, September 21, 2009

Winged Silver



There are few things in the realm of legerdemain more beautiful than a cleverly designed and professionally executed coin routine. What I wouldn’t give to experience first-hand T. Nelson Downs performing the Miser’s Dream! Imagine being totally enthralled by coin magic from the 23rd row. Such was the beauty and presentation of Downs.




I wonder sometimes if audiences are getting burned out on the “big Stuff”. Don't get me wrong, I love a dashing grand illusion performance. But I wonder. If audiences were aware that they were viewing pure “organic” sleight-of-hand, would they enjoy a righteous coin routine? If well presented, I believe they would. After all, why do people that don’t cook tune in to watch Mario Batali roll a tortellini? Or people that don’t paint watch Bob Ross paint a beautiful landscape in minutes. I expect it is because people enjoy watching experts who love their craft doing what they do best with joy and enthusiasm. Each one of us has a gift. Why hide it under a bushel basket? There is joy to be had!
At present I am working on a pretty little coin routine from “Modern Coin Magic” by Bobo. For years I have passed this gem by without giving it much thought. It is one of the routines from the “Winged Silver” section. Back in the day I had my own handling of a 4 silver dollar transposition. A nice routine that served me well but there is something special about this effect I have found. It’s possible that it looks better in my imagination than it will in reality but I’m going to give it my best shot and see what kind of reaction I get.


My biggest hurtle is the thumb palm. The tendons in my right hand are pretty tight these days. A quick and smooth curl of the first two fingers in order to gracefully deposit a half dollar into thumb palm position was a piece of cake before the dreaded hand injury. I don’t mind though. Working this out is physical therapy. So really I’m working on two tasks at once. This is good.
Another aspect of this routine that challenges and excites me is the misdirection needed for the clean finish. In the old days I thought of this kind if chicanery was hokey and ineffective on modern audiences. But now I recognize its beauty. Anyone who has ever seen Slydini perform understands that old school is by no means old hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment